Monday, April 11, 2011

We are now 1/2 marathoners!


So Sunday, Baby Susan and I completed our first 1/2 marathon. I registered back in late October, and got the first positive home pregnancy test the next day. I ran my 10K (my first race that I had run - not counting all the 5Ks I walk for fun). I figured I had already spent the money on the race, why not go.


I peed twice in the 45 mins before the race even started, and right off the starting line I felt like I had to pee again. I ran on and off for the first 3 miles till I got to the first water spot and port-a-potties. I hit the potty, got out a cereal bar, and was back on the road.


I ran on/off for the next 2 miles before Susan had shifted herself into a really bad spot, which made my lower baby area start hurting. So I just walked for awhile. I made sure to pee at stop mile 6. I had a pb&j sandwich there. That sandwich was the best sandwich I had EVER had! It was seriously AMAZING!


I was able to run some more on/off till I hit mile marker 9. I peed again and had another sandwich. I had some beautiful views of the Wright brother's memorial. I was really enjoying things and felt very good about myself that I was gonna do this!


Mile 10 started the hardest part of the walk. I could no longer run post mile 9. Everything just started to hurt. My knees were hurting, my ankles started killing me, my shins, my shoulders. I mean EVERYTHING was hurting. And mentally I was wearing out. I had to really just tell myself to keep going. I was so close to finishing it was a matter of pride. I could do it. I could finish. The water stop at mile 11 was nice. They were cheering me on, and told me not to go into labor. I just had to keep going.


Right after I hit mile 12 I realized I only had 1 mile left. I HAD to finish. It also became a trail to run on as opposed to roads. At that point I tried to run again and that was easier on my body than walking. So I took to running again. I was so happy to cross the finish line. As soon as I crossed and stopped moving, I felt everything just starting to hurt BAD. I did hear the announcer say that there were still 108 people on the trail. I had one watch really tracking my pace, and while racing I took 10 mins worth of potty breaks. So I would have finished closer to a 15 min mile if I had not needed to pee so much (I blame Susan for all the pee breaks).


Susan won the 27 week fetus age bracket! We did get passed by a woman who was 7 months pregnant but also weighed close to 50 pounds less than me. I am hoping that I can continue to set an example that fitness/health is important. I worry because my parents always stressed sports but it was never really about being healthy/staying fit. I want her to see that health is important. I plan to run most 1/2 marathons post baby and maybe even a full marathon (just one in my life). I want her to cheer me on and see the value of this kind of stuff.


I really feel like if I could mentally handle mile 10-12 then I can handle labor. It was all about keeping moving, keeping going and not quitting. I CAN DO THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment