Friday, April 8, 2011

27 Weeks today

So today marks week 27 of my pregnancy. It is also April 8th... that is exactly 3 months till Baby Susan's due date. So I am now in the 3rd trimester! I had a startling realization today. When I stepped on the scale this morning, I oculdnt see my feet (or my weight for that matter). Its a digital scale though, so I just stepped off to see my weight. I am now +11 from 9/28 till now. All of that gain seems to have happened in the last 2 months. Its almost all baby (although some has settled on my thighs and also under my chin). I am still happily wearing a smaller size (in maternity clothes) than I did a year ago. My XL shirt for the race on Sunday fits with some room to spare. I just worry that with 13 weeks to go, and a gain of 1-2 lbs a week I potentially could be looking at gaining up to 26 more pounds. As I noted last week, Baby Susan could survive (with the help of machines) now and her chances get better with each day. Baby's lungs and immune system are maturing this week as baby prepares for his grand entrance. If he were born today he would have an 85 percent chance of surviving as his lungs are capable of breathing air (with medical assistance, of course). Other exciting developments:Baby's done a lot of growing over the past few months. His length has more than doubled in the past 15 weeks! And that's not the only thing growing—baby's brain tissue and neurons are all developing at a rapid pace. His brain waves are now firing away just like those of a newborn baby. Your baby’s sense of hearing is developing. She may be able to recognize your voice when you talk to her. If your baby is a boy, his testes are descending now. Your baby started opening her eyes last week. This week her retina is formed and she may be able to detect light and dark. Its quite amazing when I look at pictures of baby's born at 27 weeks. On the one hand they look so tiny. ~14.5 inches long (from top of the head to toes) which is about from the tip of my middle finger to my elbow. thats so tiny (think about how big that is if the baby is curled up). Its so tiny! Combine that with the fact that she weighs over 2 lbs, that is a huge thing in my stomach! Its such conflicting thoughts. But she is still very active. It felt like she was sticking a foot out my back one night this week. I think she is using my bladder as a trampoline. I am starting to pee at least once an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment